Thursday, October 1, 2009

My College Essay

Hey all! I apologize for not posting a blog in God knows how long. I've just been lazy over the past few weeks or so. Anywhoo, this blog post is actually my college application essay. Please please please tell me what you think of it. I really would love feedback. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

College Essay

My family has never been considered a “church family.” I know I was baptized, there are photos and documents to prove that, but I had no personal part in it. After that, we didn't go to church until I was about 7. I received my First Holy Communion after about a year of classes, then stopped. That was the last time I stepped foot in a church on a regular basis for 8 years.

In this whole time, I always had a little voice, not inside my head, but rather in my heart, telling me to go back to church. Back then I thought it nothing more than my conscious: it wasn't until later on that I realized that it was the Holy Spirit working within me. God wanted me to go back to church. One day, while lounging around with my friend Colin, I heard his mother discussing with him how he would have to start classes for his Confirmation. This struck a chord with me. I asked his mother about the sign up date, and immediately called my mother. I told her I wanted to make my Confirmation. She agreed, and we signed up a few weeks after that. We walked down to the parish hall, filled out the forms, and then were instructed for me to attend the first class the following Sunday evening.

The dozen or so three hour classes passed in a flash not too unlike a bolt of lightning. I was excelling in my faith: learning about God, and his son Jesus and the love he has for all of us. In this time I definitely believed in God, and I knew in my mind Jesus was my savior, but I never felt it in my heart. I was waiting for my actual Confirmation, I had a feeling like that day specifically would solidify my faith in Jesus Christ. And after many a week of classes, the day finally dawned

I woke up at the nice hour of about 10 AM, which isn't too bad for a Saturday. I say “woke” up, but in all honestly sleep was not one of the things that happened that evening. I dragged my feet over to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and splashed some water on my face hoping it would get the sand out from the corner of my eyes. Then I returned back to my room, and donned my thrift store blazer and white collared shirt that we had purchased just a few days before. Then, since I didn't know how, my mother awkwardly tied the tie around my neck. I was all set, now I had to play the waiting game.

We left for the Church at about 12:30. I was apprehensive beyond anything anyone could imagine. t. I wasn't sure what was exactly going to happen, but then again, it isn't really easy for someone to describe a life changing ceremony to someone else. We got to the church, my mother went up and took a place in a pew with my father and I proceeded down the unattractive linoleum covered steps into the basement parish hall. I saw many friends, all standing with their sponsor in large, wide open room. I was alone, however. My sponsor was my lovely great-grandmother, and at 89, she was too old to be walking up and down the steps so much. So, again I did more waiting, it seemed like sitting idly was going to be my theme for the day. So, the priest came down to us all, spoke a few words, and then we lined up to go upstairs. I knew the most important part of the day was coming soon.

I walked up the stairs, met with my sponsor, and walked down the main aisle of the the church. I was quite calm now, not truly worried, just anxious to get my seat in the pew and to have things start up. When we all were seated, the bishop and the altar servers proceed down the very same aisle I had walked and took their places by the altar. The bishop uttered a few words to us all that quite honestly, I do not remember. Then, we all got ready to renew our baptismal promises. The bishop asked if we rejected Satan. I said yes with my lips, but in my mind it came out sort of like “Yes, of course I do!” The process continued and he asked if Jesus was our savior and if we believed in the communion of Saints and the Church and again, I said yes, knowing this to be true. Then, we proceed up to the foot of the altar, it was time for us all to be anointed with oil. The first few people ahead of me went, then it was my turn, I was standing square in front of the bishop with my sponsor with her hand on her shoulder behind me. My sponsor said my confirmation name, Joseph, and the bishop then made the sign of the cross on my forehead and told me I was now sealed with the Holy Spirit. Then, it was if a dam broke loose.

At that moment a torrent of emotions filled my soul. It seems like at that moment, I truly understood what my faith in Jesus meant to me. For some reason I understood that being loving, compassionate, and caring to others is what Jesus wanted out of me. I was truly sealed with the Holy Spirit on that day. Now I know what the Prophets must have felt like when they were called by God to His service. Though I may not vocalize it, that one moment in time, when I was sealed with the Holy Spirit was the most important part of my life. From that day forward, I vowed to model my life after the teachings of the Bible, and use them to better myself, and to help others.

4 comments:

  1. Stephan, I love it. It's great to hear about the significance of that day for you! It really has been a joy seeing you grow in your love for Jesus since I met you a few years back. Just remember: you don't use the teachings of the Bible to help others... the Giver of the Bible uses you to change the world.

    Two stylistic/writing comments: First, I believe you mean "conscience," not "conscious" in your second paragraph. Second, it would help us readers know how to give feedback if we knew what the question on your application asked for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike! Ok, so for anyone wondering, the quetions was "pick an event in your life that has had a profound impact on you." I think this day fits.

    And thanks about the writing comments, sometimes I don't pick up on them when they're on a computer screen.

    -Stephan

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent piece Stephan! A very in depth look at the day of Confirmation, a day that some people at both ceremonies overlooked a few days afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephan, so I just finally read this lol. Good stuff. How me and you came to faith in Jesus may be a little different, but at the core it's all the same. We both knew we couldn't do this thing called "life" alone, and we called on the God of the Universe to build a personal relationship with us. For me, at the age of 12 my youth pastor and I prayed a simple prayer, but for me it was a crying out to God like I had never experienced. Your "coming to faith" was a little fancier haha, but sounded pretty awesome. I'm glad we are good friends! See ya at school.

    ReplyDelete